Monday, November 7, 2011

Mercersburg Inn getaway

I'm sure its not often that an Innkeeper blogs about another Inn, but I have to. The place is just too wonderful to go without mention, plus I have the time to, as Brent and I have snuck away from Fallen Tree to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and do some long range planning for the B&B. Since the last 6 of those years have been spent purchasing, renovating and running Fallen Tree, staying married is no small accomplishment. As any Innkeeper might tell you, there can be some friction when two people open up their home and lives to guests.

For a quick getaway we decided on the Mercersburg Inn, A lovely 22,000 sq ft mansion in Mercersburg, about an hour from Fallen Tree. This place is A-mazing. Gorgeous, beautifully maintained, spic and span, each room with fabulous historical character and personality ( we were here on a Sunday in which many of the rooms were empty so I couldn't resist peaking into the open, unoccopied rooms-I've made a list of the ones I want to stay in next)

Of course because we are busy busy innkeepers our night of choice to get away is always Sunday, after our guests have left and we've saddled our parents with the girls, horses and dogs. I believe we are the only guests here.  I apologized to Lisa, the innkeeper, for keeping their Fabulous Chef, Dan Nowalk, on a Sunday. She said not to be silly... but we truly appreciated the care with which we were treated... the food, wow, the food.. so so good. Sweet potato Shrimp Bisque = heaven. My only regret was that I was so full I couldn't even conceive of dessert since I dearly love Creme' Brulee.

This morning, after a great nights sleep on a cozy nest of down, I enjoyed the spectacular views from our balcony of the Tuscarora mountains and am excited for breakfast. But I have to give huge kudos to the Mercersburg Inn staff that we've met and at least one we didn't( Shirley, their clearly meticulous housekeeper) Melissa, Nicole, Lisa, Jim and Chef Dan, you are doing wonderful things here and the Fallen Tree Innkeepers are looking forward to a return stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment